Forum

[Solved] Beyond assessment : how do we progress towards ideal ?  

The Gapframe is a great assessment tool : One can quickly grasp the level of advancement of any country or region of the world from the "ideal" perspective.

But how do we define the "ideal"? Is it only access to clean air, water, energy, food, etc. or is it also challenging HOW we satisfy these needs?

I am personally using this tool with my students combining it with The Natural Step Framework : basically, we explore how we reach the SDGs while reducing...

1. ... concentrations of substances extracted from the Earth’s crust,
  2. …concentrations of substances produced by society,
  3. …degradation by physical means
  4. And ensuring that, in that society, people are not subject to conditions that systematically undermine their capacity to meet their needs

These 4 conditions above can be used as a Sustainability definition (Sustainability principles) in order to inform any planning process such as organization strategy, city planning, product innovation, or, for example, addressing SDGs making sure we do not increase our impacts elsewhere.

Hi Benwoa, 

Glad  to hear you find the GAPFRAME a useful tool and thanks for sharing the Natural step framework. (I will enjoy to reading through it.)  What is important when we look at the GAPFRAME is that the GAPFRAME puts forward the concept of 'safe space' which the world needs to strive to get to. Safe space is less than ideal and is an marker by which we can all live well on this planet.  The issues in the GAPFRAME governance dimension add some indicators which are not a direct translation of the SDG's and help to go beyond the question of sustainability as captured in the SDGs. You might find it interesting to have a closer look at the issues and indicators used in the GAPFRAME at this link

Look forward to hearing more on how you are using GAPFRAME in the classroom. 

Belinda

Working

Please Login or Register